Sunday, January 30, 2011

Flowers are red

Even as a young girl I loved music. I remember when I was about 10 years old crying when I heard on the radio that Harry Chapin had died in an automobile crash (I cried for Elvis too... I am really a sap ). The years passed as time does but I never forgot Harry or his music. One of my first jobs was at a CD and video rental store (what teenager wouldnt love that???). I purchased Harry Chapins Gold Metal Collection with my first paycheck, and havent regretted it since. One song, which had me transfixed immediately was Flowers Are Red. I found it fascinating that he could so eloquently write about how we stifle the creativity and real personality of our children (he wrote about it from an education perspective, but it is done just as much in the home). I was quite indignant about it then... now I see that even without trying you box your children in to roles... roles in the family, roles in their education, etc. I hope that I can keep this song and Harrys words in my heart as I raise my kids... I want them to be happy, good people above all else.

Below is a link to Youtube and a video which has this song as the music. The pic slideshow is of various works from MOMA (the Museum of Moderne Arte in NYC. Great place if you are ever in the area). I would have put the clip in if Yahoo wasnt punishing me... but it seems I have pissed the Gods off again and cannot seem to get that to happen ( I also tried to post it with the lyrics and not the video also not an acceptable offering to the powers that be).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbsDQL5Ym6Y

Enjoy the day and colour your world the way you want it to be.... use as many colours as u like...

,

Renata

No comments:

Post a Comment