Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dancing Queen

Friday night with local friends playing a dice game and drinking (well... they drank and I laughed ). Saturday going to see my surrogate hubby #2's new babies. (Jed and Trish had twins a couple days ago~ couldn't be happier for them all). Saturday afternoon a high school girlfriend came down from Massachusetts to spend some time with me and to go out dancing Saturday night. We had a nice time sitting in the sun out near the pool... drinking Sangria and laughing. I love how much better a day is when you spend it with someone who 'gets you'. Time with Jules is always fun. We could sit and talk for hours, we laugh and giggle, talk about the serious and the sexual. One of the few friends which I feel I could say anything to and she wouldn't feel any different about me... not someone who would even say that to make me feel more comfortable... she simply wouldn't feel differently. (what a blessing!!!)

After dinner we got ready and went to the capital to a new club. Has some very interesting decor and is on the more upscale side. One floor (top) is 80's type music, one is modern pop/techno mix and one is more of a martini lounge style with very high backed couches and interesting lil nooks. The first floor is also open to the outside and there is a nice patio, which was packed with people. The dance floor was desolate when we got there, and I was worried that I had chosen a dud of a place... damn! After a few drinks (which is far more than I would typically drink) I didn't care anymore and went with Jules (who by that point wasn't going to take no for an answer) to the dancefloor. Following with tradition: give us a song or two and suddenly there are people dancing! YAY! lol As the night wore on the parade of greasey hotdogs began. (I pick on Julie that she always attracts the greasey type of guys) We were both getting a great deal of attention, some not so bad and others not to our liking. The more attention we were getting I started to notice a big difference in the type of guys we were getting. Jules and her greasey hotdogs, who seemed to be nice, actually spoke to her and although they were grinding up against her were somewhat respectful.... if not protective. (Julie is 4'11 1/2"~ a tiny lil bit of a thing) ME? I got what I eventually ended up calling the Chihuahuas. I am tall for a female (just shy of 5'10") and when I dance I wear heels... so I am over six feet. I seemed to be attracting all the 'little men', that if a fella had a napoleon complex then he was all over me. My lil chicuahuas were not so respectful... one actually putting his face into my breasts (which got him a quick leave me the F alone), others thinking that as long as they were dancing their hands could go anywhere, others yet just so aggressively dancing with me that I nearly toppled onto Jules. It amazes me that people think that this is acceptable as long as they are at a club.... I doubt they act this way when they are at the grocery store or work... On the way home we decided that because she is so short she is seen as being delicate and needing to be taken care of and that because I am tall I not only don't need that but I need an overly aggressive approach.... LMAO. The other thing we have noticed, and this is not new, is that the darker the fella the more likely he will come my way. My skin is the whitest shade of white (and under the blacklights Jules tells me I glow ) thus making me a target yet again. I laughed when I told her that what my lil chihuahuas do is they stand above the dancefloor... peering out and they see me: taller than everyone else, glowing in my whiteness and seeming like I want the lil yappy ankle biters who attack always from behind. Perception is a funny thing... full of stories we tell ourselves and what we have been told by others, often based not on truth but on a feeling we had about a situation 'once upon a time'.
So that having been said... I loved the night. It always feels good to dance. We definitely worked off a ton of calories (by the time we left we were both completely drenched). Lots of laughs, a great buzz and time with one of my best friends... who could ask for more?

Today is another day filled with friendship for me. Jules and I got up and had some nice quiet time talking, sat beside the pool and caught a few rays as my daughter was doing flips into the cool water. She left a lil while ago and I have another GF and her kids coming up to swim and spend time with us this afternoon.... THIS is what summer is about! Taking the time to relax and soak it all in... filling the days (and nights) with people that you care about and that care about you...

Be well, take care and soak it all in (it will be over before we know it).

,

Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment