Sunday, January 30, 2011

Fear and the climb out from it


Fear is something best served without fanfare or anticipation. I have had a fear of heights since I was a kid. I was on an amusement ride and was being tobbled by its rolling. My feet and lower legs kept falling out the "window" and eventually tangled and were stuck, as the vessile moved. After much screaming on my part the ride needed to be stopped and they had to extricate me from the ride. Not good! So from that day forward I have had a fear of heights. It has gotten greater as time has passed, as fears often do. I have gotten tot he point where if I were to go into a building which has an open courtyard ,and then floors above it to look into it, if the railing system is clear (glass) I cannot stand near it. I walk to the outer edge near the walls. *sigh... so frustrating * This fear has irritated me for a long time, it seems so silly to me. I have tried to talk myself out of it (which didnt work) I have tried to confront it (which made me sick) it isnt something which alters my life on a daily basis but something which makes me feel out of control (in a bad way). SO.... I had thought about skydiving this year... I figure its one step and then I have no choice but to fall. The fear would be looked at squarely and seen for nothing more than that. You may have noticed that its August and I haven't been yet... ummm, yeah prob not gonna happen this year. lol I have recently met a woman who has been climbing for 12 years or so. She's awesome!!! She invited me to go. I said yes! Definitely!!! There was no hesitation to my reply, I have wanted to rock climb and I also want to get rid of this fear. Saturday we went. I was so excited, but didnt allow myself to really think about it much, as I didnt want to get myself nervous before the moment came for me to start. Watching Carol set up the webs and tie off the anchors was great. She was generous with her knowledge and answered all my questions... I couldn't ask enough of them. I was so intrigued and wanted to know everything, from how to tie the knots to what things were called and what the differences of the equipment were. Then the moment came... sigh. You can see in the pic that I am about ready to be ill.... I was very scared but I didnt come all that way to not face this thing (it wasnt even a thought in my mind to not do it). I was sitting on the very edge at that moment.... the last moments when you triple check your harness and safety lines. It was the last time I was facing out into the trees and the last time I had something horizontal under my feet. Carol talked me through my fear and off the edge. Once she got me to straighten my legs and get my butt down as low as them I was happy as a clam. It was thrilling beyond belief... and going down is easy! I bounced and hopped my way down, enjoying the ride. feeling great because I was able to relax into the motions and let the system do the brunt of the work for me. Absolutely thrilling. When we all got to the base it was time to climb back up.... okay I was ready!!! yippee!! After readying the system taking out the slack and starting to climb I came to a plce where I was stuck and my feet started to slip. (Holy SHIT!!!!) Carol had me let go of the wall... talk about a moment when you have to trust. I did and then I got back into position, determine dto climb the whole wall. It took me a while but I did it!! All me fears of falling, all my fears of slipping, fears of what "could happen", "will likely happen" slipping away as I reached the top. Once there I repelled down again.... oh what an amazing feeling. The relief of years of fear being rinsed from me. We moved anchor and did the same thing a bit further down pinnicle rock....just awesome!!! I cant wait to go again, anyone game?????

First climb was 100 verticle feet 5.6 degree od difficulty second was 90 feet with a 5.7 degree of difficulty.

as the quote goes.... " the only thing we have to fear is fear itself!!!...."

No comments:

Post a Comment